You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘superwash’ tag.

Maybe you can tell how excited I am about a project by the amount of time it takes me to blog about it. Usually, I finish something and I’m so thrilled that I have to get a photo right away and post it.

My Damson shawl was finished back in May, and you might recall that I was lukewarm about the colour from the start. By the time I had finished and blocked, the colour had grown on me. But it turns out my real gripe is that it’s tiny* and I found myself adjusting it every 20 minutes so that it doesn’t fall off. A shawl pin would help…I think I’ll have kinder feelings towards Damson once fall weather rolls around.

The yarn, on the other hand, was so soft and springy; I enjoyed working with it, despite what I’ve recently learned about the superwash process. Are you reading, madelinetosh? I’d love it if you offered more non-superwash yarns…

Pattern: Damson by Ysolda Teague (Ravelry link here)
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light in Earl Grey

* Not sure if tininess is the problem, or if it’s more of a length vs. depth issue. The top edge of Damson has increases on both sides, not just the right side as with other shawls I’ve knit. This gives it a deep v-shape at the neck, yet the ‘arms’ still aren’t long enough to get a good wrap-around. Get it?

Advertisements
plum and coffee

plum & coffee silk, merino, and superwash merino

Every time I dye I learn something new. Recently, I thought I was very clever when I cut a hank of undyed superwash yarn into little 2 gram skeins. The plan was to throw a mini-skein into every pot of dye so that I could save it as a record of my colour recipes.

I dyed a pot of silk hankies. The colour on the mini-skein came out fine, but the silk was, well, ugly. I dyed merino roving – the mini-skein came out plum but the roving was a weak magenta. After three confusing tries, I came across a vital little bit of information in a book: dye strikes faster for superwash. Oh.

I think the dye was mostly being sucked up into the mini-skein, leaving very little for the items in the pot that I had intended to dye in the first place. So I re-dyed the roving and got the plummy colour I was hoping for, but no more fancy dye samples for me. From now on I’ll just cut a little corner off the roving after it’s dyed.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

find me on ravelry

Archives

Read about…

Advertisements